Volume 74, Number 43 | March 02 - 08, 2005

Villager photos by Clayton Patterson

Little Italy store gets littler

Because of a rent increase, Ernie and Margaret Rossi recently closed their E. Rossi & Co. Italian gift shop, which has been at the corner of Grand and Mulberry Sts. since 1936, and moved to another, much smaller space nearby. Above left, Margaret held a pair of shoes that belonged to Ernie’s grandfather — which Ernie plans to wear when he’s buried. At right, Ernie took down the shop’s shingle. Some in Little Italy are bemoaning the loss and shrinking of small mom-and-pop stores, although Mulberry St.’s restaurant business is still going strong. The owners of Da Nico restaurant down the block reportedly have a lease on the former Rossi gift shop space, where they plan to open a new restaurant. Da Nico itself is undergoing major renovations to increase its size.

Reader Services


Email our editor



The Villager is published by
Community Media LLC.

The Villager | 487 Greenwich St., Suite 6A | New York, NY 10013

Phone: 212.229.1890 | Fax: 212.229.2790
Email: news@thevillager.com

Written permission of the publisher must be obtainedbefore any of the contents of this newspaper, in whole or in part, can be reproduced or redistributed.