Volume 74, Number 38 | Jan. 26 - Feb. 1, 2005

Dog shocked on Avenue A sidewalk

Stray voltage on E. Third St. and Avenue A shocked and injured a dog at about 1 p.m. Mon., Jan. 24, according to Con Edison. The animal, a collie-husky mix, was bleeding and shaking and was briefly paralyzed, a witness said, according to the Daily News. But by the time the Con Edison crew arrived a short time later, the dog and its master were gone, according to Chris Olert, a spokesperson for Con Edison.

The crew neutralized an old underground cable where the voltage originated in front of 151 E. Third St. and then discovered more voltage coming from a neon sign in a nearby store window. The voltage ceased when the crew unplugged the sign and the building owner was advised to have the sign repaired, Olert added.

In Brooklyn Heights an hour earlier, two dogs in succession were shocked on the sidewalk at Clark and Hicks Sts., Olert said.

Last January, an East Village resident, Jodie Lane, was killed when she fell on an electrified service box cover while walking her dogs on E. 11th St. near First Ave.

Reader Services




thevillager.com



Email our editor

ADVERTISING



Home

The Villager is published by
Community Media LLC.

The Villager | 487 Greenwich St., Suite 6A | New York, NY 10013

Phone: 212.229.1890 | Fax: 212.229.2790
Email: news@thevillager.com



Written permission of the publisher must be obtainedbefore any of the contents of this newspaper, in whole or in part, can be reproduced or redistributed.