Volume 74, Number 12 | July 21 - 27, 2004



70 years ago in The Villager

From the pages of The Villager

70 years ago

It was found that Mayor La Guardia’s order to abolish open-air merchandise carts from the Lower East Side — which resulted in the construction of the enclosed Essex St. Market — did not apply to the Bleecker St. pushcart merchants in Greenwich Village. The reason, according to a mayoral spokesperson, was that Bleecker St. sold only fruit, vegetables and fish, as opposed to the clothes and merchandise sold on the Lower East Side.

Reader Services

WWW thevillager.com
Email our editor

ADVERTISING



Home

The Villager is published by
Community Media LLC.

The Villager | 487 Greenwich St., Suite 6A | New York, NY 10013

Phone: 212.229.1890 | Fax: 212.229.2970
Email: news@thevillager.com



Written permission of the publisher must be obtainedbefore any of the contents of this newspaper, in whole or in part, can be reproduced or redistributed.