Volume 81, Number 15 | September 8 - 14, 2011
West and East Village, Chelsea, Soho, Noho, Little Italy, Chinatown and Lower East Side, Since 1933

Looking back at 9/11 • A special Villager supplement

Out of the Ashes

The tiles on the chain-link fence at Greenwich Ave. and Seventh Ave. South are the last spontaneous 9/11 memorial left in the city. They were painted by children at Our Name Is Mud, the former ceramic studio next to the triangular lot, which is owned by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Not all the tiles feature images of the World Trade Center; some have written messages, others symbols of peace. Recently, to safeguard them before Tropical Storm Irene hit town, a group of P.S. 41 parents took them down, and now, with the help of the community, are putting them back up again.

TheVillager Newspaper on Facebook


Reader Services

thevillager.com

EMAIL OUR EDITOR | ARCHIVES





blog comments powered by Disqus
The Villager is published by Community Media LLC. 515 Canal Street, New York, NY 10013 Phone: (212) 229-1890 | Fax: (212) 229-2790 | Advertising: 646-452-2496 | © 2011 Community Media, LLC

Written permission of the publisher must be obtained before any of the contents of this newspaper, in whole or in part, can be reproduced or redistributed.