Volume 73, Number 33 | December 17 - 23, 2003



Gansevoort Historic District gets final approval from city

The City Council on Monday unanimously approved the designation of the Gansevoort Market Historic District, the final step in the approval process for the new landmark district.

Extending roughly from 14th to Gansevoort Sts. between Washington and Hudson Sts. and including all or part of 13 blocks and about 150 buildings, the district has had landmark protection since September when the Landmarks Preservation Commission made the designation.

The Council on Dec. 15 approved the entire district as designated by the L.P.C., rejecting the request by the Meilman family, which owns six buildings on the north side of 14th St. on the northern border of the district, to exclude its property.

The historic district was proposed three years ago by Andrew Berman, director of the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation, along with Florent Morellet and Jo Hamilton, co-founders of Save Gansevoort Market, and other preservationists.

The L.P.C., however, left out three square blocks on the west side of the traditional Meat Market area between West St. and the High Line, the derelict elevated railroad right-of-way that runs along the west side of Washington St.


Home

The Villager is published by
Community Media LLC.

The Villager | 487 Greenwich St., Suite 6A | New York, NY 10013

Phone: 212.229.1890 | Fax: 212.229.2970
Email: news@thevillager.com



Written permission of the publisher must be obtainedbefore any of the contents of this newspaper, in whole or in part, can be reproduced or redistributed.