Volume 78 / Number 19 - October 8 - 14, 2008
West and East Village, Chelsea, Soho, Noho, Little Italy, Chinatown and Lower
East Side, Since 1933

Villager photo by Caroline Debevec

Scaffolding has been erected and work is ongoing at Gansevoort and Washington Sts., for construction of both a new maintenance building for the High Line park and the new Downtown Whitney Museum.

Mayor salutes La Salle

La Salle Academy Principal Candace Hammonds, center, and students displayed a mayoral proclamation recognizing the Catholic high school’s 160 years. La Salle was started in 1848 by four De La Salle Christian brothers from France as St. Vincent’s School on Canal St. St. Vincent’s moved to Second St. and Second Ave. in 1856, and in 1887 became La Salle Academy. In 1936, the school’s current five-story building was built. Today, La Salle enrolls almost 500 boys.

Reader Services

thevillager.com

Email our editor ARCHIVES


The Villager is published by Community Media LLC. 145 Sixth Avenue, New York, NY 10013
Phone: (212) 229-1890 | Fax: (212) 229-2790 | Advertising: 646-452-2465 | © 2008 Community Media, LLC

Written permission of the publisher must be obtained before any of the contents of this newspaper, in whole or in part, can be reproduced or redistributed.