Volume 78 / Number 12, August 20 - 26, 2008
West and East Village, Chelsea, Soho, Noho, Little Italy, Chinatown and Lower East Side, Since
1933

Flashback

Sixty years ago, in an Aug. 19, 1948, front-page article, The Villager reported that a wrecking crew had completed demolition on a nearly century-old, four-story, brick building at 42 Greenwich Ave., near Charles St., clearing the way for an additional 2,530 square feet of playground space for P.S. 41, adding to the school’s then 6,818 square feet of playground space. Adjacent to the school, the old house was originally used as the residence of the school janitor. Before its demolition, it had been largely vacant, save for sporadic uses, such as for a veterans’ craft project. “For more than a score of years,” The Villager reported, “Mrs. Mary G. Chisholm, principal of P.S. 41, has been advocating the demolition of the building to make way for additional play space, as well as for an exit to the entirely enclosed rear yard behind the school building.”

 

Reader Services

thevillager.com

Email our editor ARCHIVES


The Villager is published by Community Media LLC. 145 Sixth Avenue, New York, NY 10013
Phone: (212) 229-1890 | Fax: (212) 229-2790 | Advertising: 646-452-2465 | © 2008 Community Media, LLC

Written permission of the publisher must be obtained before any of the contents of this newspaper, in whole or in part, can be reproduced or redistributed.