Volume 77 / Number 48 - April 30 - May 6, 2008
West and East Village, Chelsea, Soho, Noho, Little Italy, Chinatown and Lower East Side, Since
1933

Celebrating 75 years:

In ’39, royal majesty was ‘very glad’for guide

The Greenwich Village Guide was formerly a popular publication of The Villager. The 1959 version, the cover of which is pictured at far left, edited by Bill Honan, was 140 pages and cost 50 cents. It included a map and illustrations of Village landmarks like the Jefferson Market Courthouse and Northern Dispensary. Also among its contents were four “strolling tours of Greenwich Village” — lyrically written accounts, including “Washington Square, tour from a park bench,” “The Old West Village, courtyards and crooked streets,” “The East Village, from bouwerie to bohemia” and “The South Village, festivals and coffee shops.” The guide was further packed with ads and sported a Downtown directory of everything from art galleries and hotels to Off-Broadway theaters and post office branches. Clearly a covetted possession, a copy of The Greenwich Village Guide was gratefully accepted by the king of England, as attested to by the letter of July 25, 1939, at left. Today, the tradition continues in The Villager’s annual Community Handbook.

ads

Reader Services

thevillager.com

Email our editor ARCHIVES

Support the advertisers who support us.

ads


The Villager is published by Community Media LLC. 145 Sixth Avenue, New York, NY 10013
Phone: (212) 229-1890 | Fax: (212) 229-2790 | Advertising: 646-452-2465 | © 2008 Community Media, LLC

Written permission of the publisher must be obtained before any of the contents of this newspaper, in whole or in part, can be reproduced or redistributed.