Volume 77 / Number 41 - March 12 - 18, 2008
West and East Village, Chelsea, Soho, Noho, Little Italy, Chinatown and Lower East Side, Since 1933

Villager photos by Shoshanna Bettencourt

New ambulances are just what the doctor ordered

Last Friday, St. Vincent’s Hospital dedicated four new ambulances, which replace older vehicles in the Greenwich Village hospital’s 17-strong fleet. The new ambulances — or “buses” as police call them — feature G.P.S. tracking, allowing the Fire Department to monitor their location, roomier cabins and the latest portable electronic patient monitors. Above, Henry Amoroso, president and C.E.O. of St. Vincent Catholic Medical Centers, left, gave a commemorative mini St. Vincent’s ambulance to Susan Rohan and Vincent Rohan, vice president and president, respectively, of the May Ellen and Gerald Ritter Foundation, in honor of their funding of the purchase of one of the ambulances, which each cost about $150,000 after being fully equipped. Below, after Father Jim Rooney, St. Vincent’s chaplain, blessed the quartet of new ambulances with holy water, he also gave the hospital’s emergency medical technicians a surprise blessing. It was a lighthearted moment for the E.M.T.’s, many of whom were down at ground zero aiding the wounded on 9/11. In 1900, St. Vincent’s became the first U.S. hospital to use a motor-powered ambulance.

Reader Services

thevillager.com

Email our editor ARCHIVES


Support the Advertisers who support us!


The Villager is published by Community Media LLC. 145 Sixth Avenue, New York, NY 10013
Phone: (212) 229-1890 | Fax: (212) 229-2790 | Advertising: 646-452-2465 | © 2008 Community Media, LLC

Written permission of the publisher must be obtained before any of the contents of this newspaper, in whole or in part, can be reproduced or redistributed.