Villager photo by Elisabeth Robert
A little Lopez for Little Missionary’s
Earlier this month, former Councilmember Margarita Lopez visited the Little Missionary’s Day Nursery on St. Mark’s Pl. Above, Lopez, pointing, in the 4-year-olds classroom, with, from left, Lily; Jonah; Alex; Eileen Johnson, director of the Little Missionary’s Preschool and co-chairperson of the school’s upcoming Sara Curry Awards Benefit; teacher Jennifer Falko, and Charlotte. The nursery was founded in 1896 by Curry, dubbed the “Little Missionary” for her tireless efforts on behalf of the community. The school, at 93 St. Mark’s Pl. since 1901, still serves the working parents of the East Village and Lower East Side, and each year a portion of income is set aside to provide tuition assistance. It is the oldest, continuously operating, nonsectarian school in New York City.