Despite a denial by Boston Celtics star Sebastian Telfair, 21, that he is not connected to the Oct. 17 shooting that injured John Jackson, the hip-hop performer known as Fabolous, in the parking lot of Justin’s, Sean “Diddy” Combs’s restaurant at 31 W. 21st St., police last week said they were investigating the possibility.
Telfair had a $50,000 chain taken from him at gunpoint in the same parking lot 20 minutes before the shooting in which Fabolous was hit in the leg. The hip-hop performer and three companions drove off after the shooting but were stopped by police, who charged the four with weapons possession after two unlicensed guns were found in the car.
A surveillance camera captured the image of two people robbing Telfair, according to a Daily News article. The article said that Telfair went into the restaurant after being robbed and made a cell phone call when he saw Fabolous finishing his meal at one of the tables. The parking lot surveillance camera also caught the shooter driving off in a gray car, according to the report. Fabolous has hired private investigators to investigate the shooting, according to a New York Post article.
Three friends walking out of Taj, a lounge at 48 W. 21st St., after 4 a.m. Sun. Oct. 22 encountered two strangers who started an argument that escalated into a fight, according to police. One of the three was slashed in the ribs before the suspects fled. The injured man, 25, was treated at Roosevelt Hospital and released.
Sentenced in slay
Andre Johnson, 15, one of the four teenagers who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder last April of Broderick John “JB” Hehman, the New York University student who died after he was hit by a car while fleeing from robbers, was sentenced in Family Court on Oct. 16 to three years in a juvenile detention facility. The sentence can be extended each year by one year until Johnson’s 21st birthday.
In another Family Court hearing the same day, the sentencing of another defendant in the case, Clarence Hassan Mayfield, 16, was adjourned until Oct. 23 for the attorneys to submit written summations. Family Court Judge Mary Bednar said she would issue a written decision later.
The two other defendants, Humberto Guzman and Denzell Fell, both 14, were sentenced previously to 18 months in juvenile detention.
Arrested in abduction
Elmo Rivandeneira, 22, of Kearney, N.J., arrested last week for the May 2005 knifepoint sexual assault and abduction of a 16-year-old girl in North Bergen, N.J., was charged also with the Oct. 31, 2004, abduction and rape of a woman, 29, as she left a Halloween costume party at Crobar, the club on W. 28th St. in Chelsea. The suspect was charged with forcing the woman into his car, raping her and dropping her off naked in New Jersey.
He is also facing charges of the attempted abduction in September 2004 of another woman from a West Chelsea street. In that incident, the victim struggled and escaped and the attacker dropped a cell phone that police recovered.
DNA on the cell phone matched DNA recovered from the attack on the girl in North Bergen and the cell phone was traced back to a store in Pennsylvania and then to the person who bought it and gave it to Rivandeneira, according to Hudson County, N.J., law enforcement officials.
Killed in subway fall
A man crossing between cars on a southbound No. 1 subway train as it approached the 28th St. station about 7 p.m. Sat. Oct. 21 lost his footing and fell between the moving cars, police said. The victim, Carl Leach, 55, was declared dead at the scene.
Xavier Veal, 19, was arrested at 8 p.m. Fri. Oct. 20 on a southbound E train at Canal St. and charged with criminal mischief for etching 11 windows in five of the cars with acid, police said.