Volume 76, Number 1 | May 24 - 30, 2006

Police Blotter

Arrest intruder
An E. Fifth St. resident woke up and screamed on Monday night May 15 when she found a naked stranger in bed with her, police said. The woman, who is Japanese and speaks little English, phoned 911 but received little attention from the operator because the intruder kept shouting that the victim had met him in a bar and had taken him home with her. But after the victim’s female roommate took the phone and said the intruder was a complete stranger to both of them, the 911 operator summoned police. By the time officers arrived, the intruder had fled.
Police, however, found a fingerprint on an ashtray the defendant had handled, traced it to Wahid Sene, 33, of 28-32 44th St., Queens, and arrested him on May 22. Sene, who had prior arrests, was arraigned on May 23 on charges of second-degree burglary, first-degree sexual abuse and attempted grand larceny.

Dies after blow
Thomas Whitney Jr., of Weehawken, who was taken to Bellevue after he was found by an Emergency Medical Service team on the corner of W. 19th St. and Sixth Ave. at 4 a.m. Sun. May 21, died at 5:30 p.m. at the hospital of injuries received from a single blow to the head, police said.
Police were not notified until 8 a.m. because Whitney at first appeared not to be critically injured. Later, police identified a blood-smeared steel bar apparently pulled from a building scaffold on 19th St. as the possible murder weapon.
Whitney had been out drinking with a group of friends at Spy Club on 19th St., but the friends told police they left the victim at the bar. The owner of Spy furnished police with a photo of the victim taken at the bar with his friends, but it was not known who the assailant was or exactly where the assault happened.
The victim had a reputation for being combative when drunk and had been arrested in October 2005 for head-butting someone during a fight outside a W. 42nd St. bar, according to daily newspaper reports.
Several clubs are located between Sixth Ave. and Broadway on 19th, 20th and 21st Sts.

Chinatown fatal
A street vendor was struck and killed by a van that went out of control and jumped the curb on Forsyth between Division and Canal Sts. at 5:45 p.m. Thurs. May 18, police said. Ying Kit Wu, 66, was taken to Bellevue where he died several house later in surgery. Three others were also hit; one person was taken to Downtown Hospital with chest pains and two others refused medical attention, police said.

Up in smoke
Police arrested two men near the FedEx depot at W. 23rd St. and 11th Ave. on Wed. March 17 and charged them with possession of about 300 pounds of marijuana. Police said FedEx had received six large boxes of a suspicious nature, opened one of them to find it packed with pot and notified police. FedEx then phoned the men who were to receive the boxes and told them to pick them up.
Sean Williams, 37, of 574 Warren St., Brooklyn, and Matthew Gay, 30, of Rochester, N.Y., arrived in a car, picked up the six boxes and were arrested by waiting police. Another three boxes of marijuana were found in their car, police said.

Subway assault
A man got on a southbound No. 1 train at Christopher St. shortly before 4 p.m. on Tues. May 9, dozed off and awoke to find a man standing over him and demanding money, police said. The robber, described as a Hispanic man about age 40, pulled a box cutter but the victim kicked him and fled when the train stopped at the Franklin St. station. The victim discovered that he had been cut during the incident, but refused medical attention.

‘Springer’-style attack
An argument on Canal St. between Church St. and W. Broadway on Wed. May 10 ended at 4:15 p.m. when one of the men hit the other in the face and then picked up a vendor’s chair and hit his adversary over the head with it, police said.

Police car collision
A police car driven by a Transit Bureau officer collided with a car driven by an off-duty firefighter at the corner of E. 23rd St. and Second Ave. on Monday night May 22 but there were no arrests and no serious injuries. Both drivers were taken to Bellevue for neck and back pains.

Village fight
A teenager was taken to St. Vincent’s hospital after he was knocked to the ground during a fight about 8 p.m. Sun. May 21 at the corner of W. Eighth St. and University Pl., police said. The victim, 17, took a punch from a man who fled the scene, police said.

Albert Amateau

Reader Services


Email our editor



The Villager is published by
Community Media LLC.

The Villager | 145 Sixth Avenue | New York, NY 10013

Phone: 212.229.1890 | Fax: 212.229.2790
Email: news@thevillager.com

Written permission of the publisher must be obtainedbefore any of the contents of this newspaper, in whole or in part, can be reproduced or redistributed.