Volume 75, Number 28 | Nov. 30 - Dec. 06, 2005

Police Blotter

Villager photo by Bob Arihood

Motion to table
Police officers exited Doc Holliday’s bar on Wednesday night after responding to a fight in which someone was allegedly assaulted with a cast-iron table.

Villager photo by Clayton Patterson

Unlucky ladder
A man who was working on a building on Rivington St. near Allen St. fell off a ladder and was injured around 4 p.m. on Monday. Emergency Service Unit police, firefighters and emergency medical technicians responded and he was taken to a hospital.

Rape sentence
State Supreme Court Justice Bonnie G. Wittner gave the maximum sentence of 15 years and four months to 46 years in prison for Fletcher Anderson Worrell, 59, convicted on Nov. 9 of the June 1973 rape of a woman in her Chelsea apartment.

Worrell had been tried for the 32-year-old crime in 1974 when he was known as Clarence Williams but the jury could not reach a verdict and he fled before he could be retried. His victim, Kathleen Ham, now a lawyer in California, testified against Worrell at his retrial in October.

Worrell, who is facing another rape trial in Queens, was arrested early this year after he registered to buy a gun in Georgia. Suspected in more than 20 rapes in New Jersey and Maryland, he was identified as Clarence Williams when his DNA matched DNA taken from the victim’s underpants.

Not the OK Corral
A fight at Doc Holliday’s bar at 141 Avenue A on Wednesday night Nov. 23 brought Ninth Precinct police to the bar at 10:20 p.m., where Alvaro Ramirez, 22, was arrested for assault. Police said Ramirez hit his adversary over the head with a cast-iron table. The victim, bleeding profusely, was taken to the hospital in stable condition, police said.

John Penley, a neighborhood resident, said he saw the table that was allegedly used in the assault being removed by the police as evidence shortly after the fight.

David McWater, chairperson of Community Board 3 who owns Doc Holliday’s along with 10 other local bars, when contacted on Monday afternoon, said he had been out of town for the Thanksgiving holiday and had no knowledge of the fight. But he said he knew the bar wasn’t issued a ticket. “I don’t know what happened in Doc’s,” he said. “I’m sure that it wasn’t worse than what happened in any other bar [that night].” His employees have his cell phone number and would have called him if there was an emergency, he said.

Student death
A New York University graduate student, the daughter of a Samsung executive reputedly the richest man in South Korea, was found dead in her Astor Pl. apartment by her boyfriend Sat. Nov. 19 hanging from an electrical cord in an apparent suicide.

The victim, Lee Yoon-hyung, 26, was a first year graduate student at the Steinhardt School of Education and had recently arrived in New York. Her father, Lee Kun-hee, is chairman of the board of Samsung, which has been involved in anti-trust violations.

The victim’s death was first reported in Korean newspapers to be the result of an auto accident, according to the New York Times, but the story changed after reporters found no record of the accident.

By Albert Amateau and Lincoln Anderson

Reader Services


Email our editor



The Villager is published by
Community Media LLC.

The Villager | 487 Greenwich St., Suite 6A | New York, NY 10013

Phone: 212.229.1890 | Fax: 212.229.2790
Email: news@thevillager.com

Written permission of the publisher must be obtainedbefore any of the contents of this newspaper, in whole or in part, can be reproduced or redistributed.