Hearings set for historic districts
The Landmarks Preservation Commission will hold a 9 a.m. Oct. 19 hearing at its ninth-floor office, 1 Centre St., on two long-awaited West Village historic districts, the proposed Weehawken St. District and the Greenwich Village Historic District Extension, which are intended to protect the low-rise character of a historic neighborhood threatened by high-rise development.
The Weehawken St. District on the Village waterfront has 14 buildings dating from 1830 to 1938. The two-story wood-frame house at 392 West St. dates from 1848 and was owned by a boat builder, George Munson, who did business there. Three buildings date from the 1830s: the federal-style rowhouse at 398 West St.; a three-story brick rowhouse at 7 Weehawken St.; and a brick warehouse at 185 Christopher St., built for Stephen Allen, New York Citys mayor from 1821 to 1824.
The Village historic district extension has 36 buildings, some dating back to 1820, like the houses at 132 and 131 Charles St., the latter an individual designated landmark. The federal-style row houses at 651-855 Washington St. date from 1829.
The proposed new West Village zoning to be heard by the City Council Zoning Subcommittee on Oct. 6, is also aimed at preserving the historic neighborhood. Landmarks Preservation Commission staff members will appear at the Community Board 2 Landmarks Committee hearing on the two historic districts at 7:30 p.m. Wed. Oct. 5 at 75 Morton St.