Home » Archives by category » News » Community (Page 10)
More ‘Sh,’ less ‘boom,’ neighbors tell doo-woppers

BY LORENZO LIGATO  |  To many people, street-corner doo-wop singers conjure up an iconic image of New York. But to some West Villagers, they’re simply an annoyance. Serenading summer tourists with R&B tunes, doo-wop groups have animated the street corners at Bleecker and Leroy Sts. with their a cappella stylings for decades. But after years read more here »

Continue reading …
For socializing and feeling free, pier is peerless

[media-credit id=1 align="aligncenter" width="600"][/media-credit] BY ERICA RAKOWICZ  |  Why do you like coming to the Christopher St. Pier? I come to the pier to meet with friends from other boroughs that I don’t get to see all the time. We come to socialize, and do different things and talk about different things. Sometimes you might read more here »

Continue reading …
Christopher church feeling Proud

St. John’s Lutheran Church is holding a weeklong celebration with an All-Are-Welcome Center to commemorate Pride Week 2012 at the church, at 81 Christopher St. The celebration will culminate on Pride Sunday June 24 after the parade with a 6 p.m. Jazz Mass and a Barbecue. “We’re reviving the AIDS Vigil Walk on Friday [June read more here »

Continue reading …
Food trucks and art occupy coveted Hudson Square lot

[media-credit name="Photos by Tequila Minsky " align="alignleft" width="600"][/media-credit] Food trucks now offer an array of lunchtime fare Tuesdays through Thursdays at LentSpace at Canal St. and Sixth Ave. BY LORENZO LIGATO |  While Occupy Wall Street’s attempt to pitch tents in the privately owned, fenced-in space in Duarte Square may have failed, the longed-for lot at read more here »

Continue reading …
A serene scene in Soho

[media-credit name="Photo by Tequila Minsky " align="aligncenter" width="600"][/media-credit] “Survival of Serena,” Carole Feuerman’s hyper-realistic sculpture — complete with beads of water on the figure’s arms and the inner tube — was recently installed in Soho’s Petrosino Square, at Lafayette and Spring Sts. The painted bronze piece will be on view through Sept. 23. The artist’s read more here »

Continue reading …
Mendez, Little Red, garden honored with Village Awards

BY ALBERT AMATEAU  | The Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation on Thurs., June 7, will bestow eight awards on the people, places and institutions of the West Village, the East Village and Noho that contribute to their neighborhoods’ special character. Author Calvin Trillin will do the honors. The society’s 22nd annual ceremony, including awards to read more here »

Continue reading …
TALKING POINT: At Pier 40 Residential Would Work

BY PAUL A. ULLMAN  |  I was appointed to the board of the Hudson River Park Trust five years ago by former Governor Spitzer. I asked to be chosen because I love and use Hudson River Park. I also thought I could contribute, intellectually, to the planning and development process of one of the nation’s read more here »

Continue reading …
TALKING POINT:  With rising sea levels, housing on piers is reckless

BY BEN GREEN AND LESLIE LOWE  |  Fifteen years ago, New Yorkers were told that the New York City Parks Department was incapable of building and maintaining a large waterfront park, and that a public authority (like the M.T.A. and the Port Authority) was needed as the governing entity for the Hudson River Park. In read more here »

Continue reading …
TALKING POINT: The Hudson River Park: Let’s tone down the rhetoric

BY ARTHUR Z. SCHWARTZ  |  For the 21 years I have been on Community Board 2, Hudson River Park has been a point of contention. This year the park is in contention again, with some folks characterizing the discussion as being in a similar vein to N.Y.U. 2031 or the Rudin plan to make profit read more here »

Continue reading …
No masking it: Loisaida Fest was well worth crowing about

[media-credit name="Photos by Clayton Patterson " align="aligncenter" width="600"][/media-credit] Since 1987, the Loisaida Festival has been celebrated on the Sunday before Memorial Day. This year’s installment saw many vendors, including the woman painting a mask, above left. Of course there was great music, from conga players and singers to more casual itinerant music makers, like the read more here »

Continue reading …