Making a stand for an embattled vendor’s newsstand
Another rally in support of Jerry Delakas was held on Saturday outside his recently shuttered Astor Place newsstand. Delakas ran the newsstand for more than 25 years. But the city’s Department of Consumer Affairs padlocked it last month — in the waning days of the Bloomberg administration — charging that Delakas does not hold a proper license to operate the stand. Speaking before last Saturday’s rally, Delakas said he appreciates the community coming to his aid. “The support is very strong,” he said. “It’s a great example of Americans holding hands and opening their arms and hearts for the needy.” A week earlier, more than 100 supporters, including Reverend Billy, gathered to show their support. There is even a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/savejerrysnewsstand. It remains to be seen if the longtime vendor will be given a reprieve and allowed to stay on under the administration of new Mayor Bill de Blasio.
Jerry Delakas, above, and top center, at Saturday’s rally outside his closed Astor Place newsstand. Photos by Jefferson Siegel