Police Blotter, Week of August 30, 2012

Rape suspect sketch
Police released a sketch (above) on Fri., Aug. 24, of the man they believe raped a woman in a Greenwich Village massage parlor the week before.

The suspect entered the Body Work massage parlor, at 85 Washington Place, around 10 a.m. Fri., Aug. 17, according to police. After pretending to be a customer, he allegedly beat a 41-year-old woman unconscious and then raped her. He also stole property from the business before fleeing the scene, the report states.

The suspect is described as black or Hispanic, 20 to 25 years old and about 6 feet tall.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS. Tips can also be submitted at www.nypdcrimestoppers.com or by texting to 274637, then entering TIP577.

Freak fall eyed in death
A Manhattan socialite and daughter of New York City’s former budget director was found dead in a Lower East Side apartment stairwell on Mon., Aug. 27, after what authorities believe was a freak accident.

Carlisle Brigham, 29, had reportedly been drinking and partying with friends the night before, and ended up at the apartment of a male friend at 191 Orchard St. She was found at the bottom of the building’s stairwell around 10:30 a.m. the next day with blunt-impact injuries to her head and neck, as well as a gaping slash across her throat that left her covered in blood. She was immediately pronounced dead.

In a report released the next day and reported in the press, the Medical Examiner’s Office ruled that Brigham’s death was accidental. A police investigation is ongoing, but authorities believe she may have tripped and fallen down the steep staircase due to the high heels she was wearing.

Bra and panty thief
Police are looking for a man who stole more than $2,000 worth of lingerie and clothing from the Victoria’s Secret Pink store at 565 Broadway on Sun., Aug. 26.

A female employee of the store said that the thief, whom she could only describe as a black man, walked through the front door around noon carrying a large black shopping bag. He proceeded to fill the bag with 30 bras, valued at $1,185 total, 30 pairs of panties, valued at $435, eight sweatshirts, valued at $372 total, and eight T-shirts, collectively valued at $140. Once he was finished, the man exited through the front door, then fled in an unknown direction.

Hudson St. arson
Morgan Greenburger, 19, was arrested for arson on Sat., Aug. 25, after he started a fire inside a third-floor apartment at 525 Hudson St.

The apartment’s 58-year-old tenant reported the blaze at 4:50 p.m., about 45 minutes after it was first sparked, and Greenburger was apprehended nearby before he could flee.

The fire did some damage to the building but it was mostly confined to the single apartment, according to the police report. A fire marshal arrived at the scene, determining that the flames had likely been the result of criminal intent.

It was unclear in the report why Greenburger chose the location. It wasn’t immediately clear how the fire was ignited.

Flower bouquet robbery
Police arrested two women and a man for robbery on Fri., Aug. 24, after they stole flowers from a Soho grocery store and attacked the store’s owner.

At around 7 a.m. that day, Justine Rodriguez-Furlong, 20, Nicole Hippe, 18, and Willy Koysume, 19, entered the H&H Grocery, at 471 Sixth Ave. at Prince St., and grabbed a bouquet of flowers without paying. The owner, a 49-year-old woman, who had just opened the store, tried to take back the stolen property — but when she did, the thieves began punching her and then attempted to flee.

All three were caught later that morning, after the store owner called 911 and police canvassed the area.

Punched and bashed
Turham Britton, 22, was arrested in the early morning of Thurs., Aug. 23, after he brutally assaulted a teenager in the West Village.

The victim, a 16-year-old boy, had been walking along Christopher St. between Bleecker and Hudson Sts. at around 3 a.m., when Britton approached and began repeatedly punching him in the face, according to the police report.

While the teenager was trying to recover, Britton then picked up a brick from the sidewalk and smashed him over the head with it. The attack left the boy bleeding, dizzy and in pain, and he was rushed to Bellevue Medical Center after police heard the commotion and arrived on the scene.

Didn’t lock locker
A woman, 27, told police that she had been a victim of grand larceny while working out at the New York Sports Club gym at 503 Broadway on Sun., Aug. 26.

She said that, before exercising at around 11 a.m. that day, she left her belongings in a gym locker — but didn’t place a lock on it. When the woman returned from her workout, all her property had been stolen. She lost an iPod Nano, valued at $200, a Samsung Galaxy 3 cell phone, valued at $400, her car and apartment keys, $400 cash and three credit cards, which she cancelled before any unauthorized use could take place. The place’s general manager told police that no one had been allowed into the gym without proof of membership.

‘Untimely’ bike loss
Police are looking for a thief who stole a bicycle from the corner of Prince and Greene Sts. on Sat., Aug. 25, and who, in doing so, made off with a valuable wristwatch.

The bike’s owner said he had locked it against a gate outside the Greene St. building where he was shopping at around 11 a.m. When he returned 15 minutes later, both the bike — a Marin valued at $450 — and the lock had been stolen. The thief also ended up with the bag attached to the bike, containing an Audemars Piguet watch. The victim told police he had been planning to take the timepiece, valued at $12,000, to a repair shop later that day.

Phantom phone theft
A woman, 28, told police that while she was walking past the corner of Spring St. and Sixth Ave. on Fri., Aug. 24, she realized her phone had been stolen.

The woman said that she was sure she had secured the iPhone 4S, which she valued at $650, in her purse. But at around noon, after walking up Sixth Ave. for about 20 minutes, she discovered the phone was gone, though no one had bumped into her and she didn’t see a suspect at any point. Using the “iFind” app, the woman was able to track her phone to its last known location, at 500 Eighth Ave., but neither perpetrator nor phone has been found.

Suitcase gets swiped
Police are looking for an unknown thief who stole a suitcase with more than $1,000 in property from the front of a Hudson St. apartment building on Sun., Aug. 19.

A tenant of the building, at 282 Hudson St., said she left the suitcase outside unattended while walking up to her apartment. When the woman, 54, returned 15 minutes later, it was gone, along with the belongings inside it. The stolen property included an iPad, valued at $500, several shirts, valued at $275, various jewelry items, valued at $175, plus the suitcase itself, valued at $160. The woman attempted to track the thief using her iPad, but it had already been turned off, and could not be found.

–  Sam Spokony

The Villager encourages readers to share articles:

Comments are often moderated.

We appreciate your comments and ask that you keep to the subject at hand, refrain from use of profanity and maintain a respectful tone to both the subject at hand and other readers who also post here. We reserve the right to delete your comment.

One Response to Police Blotter, Week of August 30, 2012

  1. "Street smarts" school is in session, welcome newcomers! Lesson A, don't accept rides from cab drivers who approach you at the airport. Lesson B, don't leave your $12,000 watch with your bike that's chained to some gate. Lesson C, don't leave your luggage with iPod and jewelry unattended on the street while you run upstairs. Lesson D, If you're 16, don't be out in Manhattan at 3 a.m. OK, now you're all cadet New Yorkers, go get em…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

× nine = 45

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>