Police Blotter, Week of June 28, 2012

Stuy High cheating
A cheating scandal broke at the elite Stuyvesant High School on June 18 when the principal, Stanley Teitel, found a student apparently getting answers on his cell phone while taking a test, according to the Daily News and the Post. A Department of Education spokesperson said the matter is under investigation. Another student at the Lower Manhattan school who was found with photos of tests on his cell phone, and is suspected of supplying test answers to about 50 students, has been dismissed, according to reports.

Car problems
A man who parked his 1999 Infiniti in front of 191 Sixth Ave. near Charlton St. around 3:55 a.m. Fri., June 22, came back 10 minutes later to find it had been stolen. A surveillance camera recorded the theft on tape.

A Wooster St. resident parked his car on the block near Canal St. around 8:30 p.m. Fri., June 22, and went home for five minutes. He returned to find that his camera bag, with equipment valued at $11,000, had been stolen from the back seat. A surveillance camera recorded the thief running north on Wooster St.

Motor vehicle mischief
A woman who had parked her car in front of 763 Washington St. around 12:45 p.m. Tues., June 19, spotted a man raking a key across the side of her car. She called police, who arrested Itzhak Ben-Moshe, 65, for malicious mischief.

Police arrested Salvador Flores, 28, for malicious mischief around 11:27 p.m. Sun., June 24, for breaking the door handle and the passenger-side, rear-view mirror of a car parked at the corner of W. 11th St. and Fifth Ave.

What a jerk
Police found Fehd Abdul Wahed Ragabi, 30, around 5:45 p.m. Fri., June 22, lying on the sidewalk in front of the Sixth Police Precinct stationhouse and masturbating.

Playground robbery
Two robbers, one armed with a gun, held up a 15-year-old boy in the playground at Jefferson and Madison Sts., around 4:40 p.m. Tues, June 12, and fled with the victim’s cell phone and cash, police said.

Worth St. Watergate?
Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer’s mayoral campaign office at 40 Worth St. was burglarized over the June 23-24 weekend and two laptop computers were stolen. Campaign workers are trying to determine whether the computers, which were not used personally by Stringer, had any politically sensitive documents.

Fire-gear fan
Firefighters returning to their stationhouse at 32 W. 10th St. around 9 p.m. Wed., June 21, spotted someone walking out of the place wearing a firefighter’s jacket valued at $2,000. They apprehended the suspect, Jane Doe, 32, and charged her with larceny.

Waverly Inn fire
Fire in the basement of Waverly Inn, 16 Bank St., around 5:20 p.m. Mon., June 25, damaged a mural by the cartoonist Edward Sorel and forced residents of apartments upstairs to vacate for a while. There were no injuries, and Sorel told the New York Post that the mural was digitalized and easily reproduced.

Arrest murder suspect
Police arrested Carl Knox, 47, also known as Abdul Hakim, around 1 a.m. Sun., June 17, for the June 9 stabbing death of Corey Capers, 31, on E. Fifth St. near Avenue D in the Lillian Wald Houses. The victim was trying to stop a fight between the suspect and his aunt. Knox has three prior convictions — for attempted rape, attempted assault and weapons possession — according to the Post.

Shoed and wrenched
A brawl involving four people at the corner of Washington and Horatio Sts., around 8:15 p.m. Sun., June 24, ended when police arrived and arrested Ajamu Edney, 18, and Nagee Smith, 20, for assault. Edney took off one of his platform shoes and hit a 40-year-old victim in the face with it, and Smith hit a victim over the head with an iron wrench, police said.

S.L.A. slaps club
The State Liquor Authority has filed violations against W.i.P., the basement club at 34 Vandam St., and its sister club, Greenhouse, in the same building at 150 Varick St., regarding the June 14 brawl at W.i.P. in which eight people were hurt, including the San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker, whose cornea was cut by glass. Lawyers for the two clubs are seeking to lift the temporary closing imposed by the police.

Kenmare club ruckus
Police descended on La Esquina, 114 Kenmare St., around 12:30 a.m. Sat., June 24, after two groups of patrons began pushing each other. Several patrol cars responded, and suspects were issued desk appearance tickets for harassment, police said. Police allowed the club to reopen around 1:30 a.m.

La Esquina has been the target of numerous neighborhood complaints.

Lifts were often swift
A Brooklyn woman told police she went to Café Vivaldi, 32 Jones St., on Fri., June 22, around 9:30 p.m. and discovered when she was about to leave at 12:30 a.m. that her bag, which she had placed next to her, was gone.

A woman patron of Marc Bar, 151 Mercer St., kept her bag on her shoulder while in the place on Friday evening June 15 but discovered by 8 p.m. that her wallet had been lifted from the bag.

A woman patron of Café Duke, 545 Broadway between Prince and Spring Sts., put her bag on the back of her chair around 5:30 p.m. Thurs., June 21, and discovered five minutes later that it was gone. A charge of $200 had been made on her debit card.

A woman patron of Le Bain, 444 W. 13th St., in the Meatpacking District told police her bag was lifted from a shelf around 4 a.m. Sun., June 24.

A patron of Grove Bar, at 125 MacDougal St., told police her wallet was lifted around 3 a.m. Sun., June 24, and her debit card was used to steal $388 from her account.

A patron of Tenjune, 26 Little W. 12th St. in the Meatpacking District, told police that someone lifted his wallet around 1 a.m., Sat. June 23, but acknowledged, “I don’t remember much of the incident.” He learned later that $600 was charged to a credit card.

Soho shoplifters
A man who walked into Costume National, 150 Greene St., around 5:30 p.m. Sun., June 17, and walked out eight minutes later with a white leather handbag valued at $2,150 without paying for it.

A woman walked into the Club Monaco boutique, at 121 Prince St., at 2:09 p.m. Thurs., June 21, and shoved seven tank tops, two skirts,  five vests and six Kessie tops into a shopping bag and walked out without paying for the clothes, valued at $1,950.

– Albert Amateau

The Villager encourages readers to share articles:

Comments are often moderated.

We appreciate your comments and ask that you keep to the subject at hand, refrain from use of profanity and maintain a respectful tone to both the subject at hand and other readers who also post here. We reserve the right to delete your comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

nine × 9 =

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>