Police Blotter, December 22, 2011

Baruch bruisers
Lillian Rios, 50, her daughter, Cheryl Rios, 31, and Alyssa Cruz, 16, all residents of the Baruch Houses on the Lower East Side, were arrested and charged with assault around 3:23 p.m. Mon., Dec. 12, after a traffic agent told police the suspects punched and kicked her.

Ludlow St. thief
Jimmy Perez, 49, pleaded guilty on Mon., Dec. 12, to stealing a laptop, jacket, cell phone and electronic equipment that a patron had left at a table in Ludlow Bar, 165 Ludlow St., around 3 a.m. on Fri., Dec. 2. Perez was arrested after he returned to the bar on Tues., Dec. 6, when the manager recognized him and called police. He was sentenced to nine months in jail.

Arrest in 3 muggings
Wilberto Navarro, 44, was arrested Mon., Dec. 12, and charged with mugging three women on the Lower East Side and in the East Village, including a 73-year-old victim in a motorized scooter.

He is charged with choking a woman from behind in a hallway of 57 Pitt St., threatening to kill her and stealing her wallet around 1:30 a.m. Fri., Dec. 9.

On Dec. 10 he attacked a woman, 73, in her motorized scooter as she entered the elevator of her Baruch Houses building at 595 F.D.R. Drive, around 5:10 p.m., according to the complaint filed with the Manhattan district attorney. He slammed her head against the scooter handlebar and fled with her bag, the complaint says.

The next day at about 2:30 a.m. Navarro followed a woman into an apartment building at 520 E. 12th St., told her, “I want your money and I don’t want to hurt you,” and fled with her money and her iPhone, the complaint says.

Navarro was being held in lieu of $255,000 bail pending a Jan. 10 court appearance.

Robbery arrest
Police arrested Duwayne Bascom, 30, on Wed., Nov. 30, and charged him with robbing a convenience store on First Ave. near E. Seventh St. with an accomplice around 8:40 p.m. on Mon., Nov. 21. Bascom blocked the door with a soda can while his partner, not apprehended, simulated a gun and took $300 and 20 lottery tickets from behind the counter, according to the complaint filed with the Manhattan district attorney. Police tracked down Bascom, who was identified by prints lifted from the soda can.

A man and a woman were arrested for hitting a 76-year-old man in the leg with a metal pole around 9:50 p.m. Wed., Dec. 14, on E. 14th St. across from Union Square Park. Reginald Qualls, 19, and India Lawrence, 18, were charged with second-degree assault.

In a “mugging,” Jeremy Sheehan was charged with assault for hitting a victim in the head with a mug in the Monster Bar, 80 Grove St., around 1:10 a.m. Fri., Dec. 16.

A rowdy patron of the diner at 759 Broadway near E. Ninth St. refused to leave and punched the manager in the eye around 3:26 a.m. Fri., Dec. 19, police said. When the suspect finally left, he kicked the glass door and cracked it.

Arrest card snatcher
Police arrested Michael Reid, 47, for robbery in connection with the theft of a credit card from the hand of a woman victim on Christopher St. near W. Fourth St. around 9:55 a.m. Sat., Dec. 17. The victim chased and struggled with the suspect, who made his escape, but police soon apprehended him.

Larceny arrests
A woman shopping at an AT&T store at 745 Broadway on Monday night Dec. 19 put her bag at her feet and found it stolen a short time later, police said. A suspect, Sharif Vailes, 22, was arrested at 8:32 p.m. on Grove St. near Sheridan Square and the bag with two laptop computers was recovered.

A patron of Filene’s at 40 E. 14th St. forgot her credit card at the checkout at 12:46 p.m. Tues., Dec. 13, but it was discovered 40 minutes later when it was being used at a nearby Duane Reade. Eyan Cabbell, 26, a Filene’s cashier, was charged with larceny in the case,

Police charged Benjamin Morgan, 26, with larceny for using the credit card of friend, without permission, to run up charges of $113 for food and drink at Pour George, 35 W. Eighth St.

Child-rape sentence
Jeremy Fulton, 29, former youth minister of Mariners’ Temple Baptist Church, at Henry and Oliver Sts., who pleaded guilty in April to raping three girls between 10 and 16 years old, was sentenced on Tues., Dec. 20, to prison for 22 years. Fulton’s sexual abuse of one girl started when she was 12 in 2007 and lasted two years, according to the Manhattan D.A.

Car theft
A man who parked his 2006 Hyundai at the southwest corner of Varick and Houston Sts. at 9 p.m. Thurs., Dec. 15, returned at 2 a.m. to find it had been stolen.

O.W.S. banner drop
The security guards at 75 Varick St. at Canal St., which is owned by Trinity Real Estate, called police at 4:45 p.m. Sat., Dec. 17, to say that two people had entered the office building and hung a 100-foot-long white banner with “Reclaim Your Humanity” in black letters from its 17th floor. Police arrested Moses Appleton, 24, and Suzahn Ehrehimian, 23, as they came out of the elevator on the first floor. The suspects said they worked in the building but were not specific, police said. Their hands were stained with black paint and they were charged with burglary. Earlier, Occupy Wall Street protesters had unsuccessfully tried to occupy the adjacent vacant lot at Duarte Square, which is also owned by Trinity.

Deliveryman mugged
An intruder held up a deliveryman at knifepoint in the lobby of the office building at 712 Broadway near E. Fourth St. on Wednesday evening Nov. 30. The building’s manager urged tenants and visitors to close the outside doors securely after entering and to not let strangers into the building.

Charged in trespass
The grand jury that refused to indict Rayon McIntosh, a McDonald’s employee, for assault against two women who rushed behind the counter during a predawn argument in the chain’s W. Third St. branch, charged the women, Denise Darbeau and Rachel Edwards, with criminal trespass and other unspecified charges. The Oct. 13 incident was caught on video and showed McIntosh striking Darbeau and Edwards with a metal rod. The two suspects were freed without bail pending a Jan. 11 court appearance.

Soho shoplifters
Two men entered Folli Follie, at 133 Prince St.,  around 7:30 p.m. Fri., Dec. 16, and asked to see watches. One of the suspects grabbed five watches from the case, while the other grappled with the attendant. They fled with the watches with a total value of $1,900.

Albert Amateau

The Villager encourages readers to share articles:

Comments are often moderated.

We appreciate your comments and ask that you keep to the subject at hand, refrain from use of profanity and maintain a respectful tone to both the subject at hand and other readers who also post here. We reserve the right to delete your comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

nine × = 27

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>