- In Pictures
- Meat Market
- Union Square
[media-credit name="Photos courtesy N.Y.U.-S.C.P.S. / Mark McQueen " align="aligncenter" width="600"][/media-credit]On Nov. 21, New York University’s School of Professional and Continuing Studies dedicated a newly redesigned historic building at 7 E. 12th St.
The 117,000-square-foot space unifies most of the N.Y.U.-S.C.P.S. programs in one location for the first time in the school’s 77-year history. Formerly, these were scattered around the N.Y.U. campus.
Occupied since September, the retrofitted facility and its services are available to more than 5,000 N.Y.U.-S.C.P.S. undergraduate and graduate students and the school’s nearly 30,000 noncredit students enrolled in more than 1,500 continuing-education and certificate programs.
Designed by Mitchell | Giurgola Architects, the open design features a dichroic glass facade, whose colors shift with changes in the light and viewing angle. Pedestrians can look through this facade to see the classroom action within, while students inside feel visually connected to the city. The lobby atrium sports a grand elliptical staircase.
Built in 1948, 7 E. 12th St. formerly housed Fairchild Publications, a fashion magazine pioneer and publisher of W and Women’s Wear Daily. In 1992, N.Y.U. acquired the building to house administrative offices.
In the photo above, readying to cut the ribbon on Nov. 21, were, from left: Ife Onatunde, N.Y.U.-S.C.P.S. Undergraduate Student Council president; Susan Kinsey, divisional dean of the Paul McGhee Division; Dennis Di Lorenzo, interim N.Y.U.-S.C.P.S. co-dean; Carol Loewenson, partner, Mitchell | Giurgola Architects; Evan Weiss, N.Y.U.-S.C.P.S. Tisch Center Alumni Board president; prominent N.Y.U. donor Jonathan Tisch, chairperson and C.E.O., Loews Hotels; Dr. Bjorn Hanson, interim N.Y.U.-S.C.P.S. co-dean; Rick Matasar, N.Y.U. vice president for University Enterprise Initiatives; and Dr. David McLaughlin, N.Y.U. provost. Below, students using a light-filled study area in the building.